Parsons The New School for Design
Thursdays at 6 p.m.
The Keller Auditorium, 66 Fifth Avenue, New York
To celebrate the launch of its two new graduate programs focused on urban transformation, Parsons The New School for Design has organized “In the Urban Crisis,” a lecture series featuring leading voices shaping the global dialogue about city development. The series highlights core themes of the MS in Design and Urban Ecologies [ http://www.newschool.edu/parsons/ms-design-urban-ecology/ ], led by organizer Miguel Robles-Duran, and MA in Theories of Urban Practice [http://www.newschool.edu/parsons/ma-theories-urban-research/ ], led by Aseem Inam, which explore the ways cities are shaped and reshaped through planning, public policy, development, and architecture.
“In the Urban Crisis” is a free public event series running on select Thursday evenings at 6 p.m. throughout the spring. All talks will take place in the Anna-Maria and Stephen Kellen Auditorium, Sheila C. Johnson Design Center, 66 Fifth Avenue.
– Paula Z. Segal (Feb. 23), a lawyer and activist collaborating on the Occupy Wall Street project #whoOWNSspace.
– Tom Angotti (March 1), professor in the Hunter College Department of Urban Affairs and Planning.
– Don Mitchell (March 8), distinguished professor of Geography at the Maxwell School of Syracuse University.
– Ana Méndez de Andés (March 29) a Madrid-based urban activist.
– Andrew Ross (April 5), a writer and professor in the Department of Social and Cultural Analysis at New York University.
– Erik Swyngedouw (April 19), a professor of Geography at the University of Manchester’s School of Environment and Development.
– Jeanne van Heeswijk (April 26), a Dutch artist and winner of Creative Time’s 2011 Lenore Annenberg Prize for Art and Social Change.
– Pelin Tan (May 3), an Istanbul-based sociologist and art historian.
Preceding the March 1 event, from 4:30-5:30, there will be an information session on the MA in Theories of Urban Practice and MS in Design and Urban Ecologies programs. http://www.newschool.edu/parsons/grad-events/
For more information on the “In the Urban Crisis” Series, please visit the School of Design Strategies (SDS) blog: http://sds.parsons.edu/